Friday, August 21, 2009

Is it Just Me?


I'm on this dating site called OKcupid. It's like most of them, you can exchange winks, be brave and daring and actually send an e-mail, it's picks people who according to certain criteria would be a match for you, all in all a typical dating site. On this site I've exchanged a few e-mails with a couple of people and actually gone on a couple of dates.


I've been exchanging e-mails with this one guy or to be more accurate I've been exchanging one-liners with him. He doesnt' seem to be much for the written word and I understand that some people are just better in person than e-mails or phone. We decide to meet for coffee. I live in Sterling and he lives in Leesburg which really isn't all that far apart but we are in different cities. So again, we decide to meet for coffee and he sends me an e-mail saying we can meet at the Starbucks across from Home Depot. Hmmmmmm the Starbucks across from Home Depot. That tells me nothing. Helloooooo we live in the DC Metro area and I'm pretty sure there are several Home Depots and even more Starbucks. So I write him back..."which Home Depot would that be?" His response was "the one you can see from Rt. 7 and he gives me a street address, but again, still no city. I mean really? The one you can see from Rt. 7? Would that be Rt 7 in McLean, Tysons, Falls Church, Arlington, Leesburg, the middle of nowhere? I put the street address that he gave me into mapquest and I come up with Leesburg. Now let me say right here, those who know me know that I'm a pretty flexible person, easy going, not so easily annoyed but this is starting to irrate me. One he doesn't even discuss what might be a mutually convenient Starbucks to meet at. Two he assumes I'm driving to him in Leesburg. Three he just assumed I would know what Starbucks, Home Depot and city he was talking about.


Now maybe its just me, but when I make plans with people I try to find something that is mutually convenient. I also, when providing a destination, provide the name of the place and the address which includes the street and the city. I know that we all think differently but to me this is just common courtesy.


At this point I now have no desire to meet him. But my question is am I being too harsh? Too picky? Too quick to judge? I feel that one, he is lazy by not providing me a decent address and two, he only considering what is convenient for him. Maybe I'm wrong, as honestly I have no real sense of the person he is as his e-mails have been generic as well as his profile. He could be a really great guy, but I'm thinking I'm a little jaded by his apparent laziness and as I don't feel even a slight connection with him, I feel like I don't want to make a further effort. So should I let it go and just go and have coffee as what do I have to lose or stick with my initial feelings and skip it altogether?


No comments:

Post a Comment