Monday, July 20, 2009

Craig's List


I know most of us has heard of Craig's List, you know the infamous list where you can sell or buy anything, meet people and even rant and rave about something that excites or pisses you off. Hell some of the funniest reading is on Craig's List. I know it's not meant to be funny, after all searching for your soul mate is serious business, so I apologize now to all those who pour their hearts out on Craigs List searching for their missed connection, the girl/boy who left them or just simply looking for the "One", but you can't help but read some of those ads and laugh or in some cases just wonder what in the hell they were they thinking?

For example, today I was bored so I decided to cruise the men seeking women ads and I came across an ad written by a 23 year old. The headline read "Girls Are Dumb". Well, being the curious girl I am I had to open it up. The ad was about 30 paragraphs of what women should/shouldn't wear, how to act and not act, what men really want, what we don't get about men, how women are always playing games, etc. It's very amusing and he does have a couple of good points. He's actually posted this diatribe several times before and within the last couple of days reposted it, but under different titles. Somehow I don't think he's winning any brownie points or dates even though he did end his bit of literary prose asking the question "so who wants to be my gf?" I'm thinking ........no.

I wish Mr. 23 would read some of the ads the men have posted looking for women as maybe he would notice a parallel. He would notice that the men have a long list of requirements that they are looking for in women, that men state they don't want to play games and yet do, that some men brazenly state in their ads they are only looking for a "mutually beneficial relationship", yet these are the things Mr. 23 is complaining about regarding women.

My next favorite ads were written by 3 different men between the ages of 25 and 40. Apparently these 3 men are very interested in getting married and quickly! One wants to be married within the year and the other 2, well they are ready to take the plunge after a few email exchanges, a coffee date and maybe a kiss! So ladies getting your engines running these 3 are not to be passed up. I mean really do these men not know the time and energy it takes to plan a wedding! I'm pretty sure this could stretching the boundaries of "love at first sight".

The winner of the day though was the ad titled " Need a psycho/schizo woman with bad credit and worse temper - 24". After reading this mini novella I'm convinced this young man needs to take a serious break from dating. If what he is "looking for" is any indication of what he has already gone through I'm thinking dating may not be for him, at least right now.

There is a running theme in the Craigs List ads and that is "you must be real". Real? I mean who have these people been dating? Mickey Mouse, their imaginary friend, a ghost? Maybe instead of saying "please be real", they should define what being real to them is. What are the qualities they are looking for that makes a a person "real"?

Admittedly there are several good ads on Craigs List that are well written and sincere and I hope they are finding what they are looking for. As for the others well they are entertaining and break up a boring afternoon. Not sure if I hope they are finding what they are looking for, especially the poor boy looking for a psycho chick, but I wish them luck too.











No comments:

Post a Comment